Fake Intelligence Officer Sentenced to Four Years in Prison for Extorting Chinese Businessman

Harare, Zimbabwe – Patrick Badza, who claimed to be an intelligence officer, has been sentenced to four years in prison for extorting a Chinese businessman.

The verdict was delivered by Harare magistrate Ngoni Nduna after a comprehensive trial.

Badza, employed as a senior programmes manager in the intelligence services, faced charges alongside Chester Matsvimbo, a programmes manager.

However, Matsvimbo was acquitted by the court, while the evidence presented by the State against Badza was deemed overwhelming by the magistrate.

The case revolved around Live Touch (Pvt) Ltd, where Kyle Dongchaun Wang, the complainant, serves as the managing director.

The company had embarked on an expansion project in limestone mining, leading Dongchaun to submit Temporal Employment Permits (TEP) applications for 33 Chinese technical experts between March and April 2020.

The Immigration Department handled the applications and forwarded them to the Committee on Foreign Recruitment for processing. Subsequently, a site visit to Live Touch Mine in Kwekwe was conducted on April 21, 2020, with Junior Zigora, the operations officer, demonstrating the mine’s operations to the committee.

Trouble arose when, on May 14, 2020, Badza contacted Zigora claiming to be from the President’s Office and sought information about the person responsible for the TEP applications. He then demanded a bribe in exchange for facilitating the approval of the TEPs.

Recognizing the gravity of the situation, the mine director reported the matter to the Zimbabwe Anti-Corruption Commission (ZACC), leading to the establishment of a trap to apprehend Badza.

On May 18, Badza and Dongchaun met at a hotel in the capital, where Badza requested US$300 for each TEP application, totaling US$9,900. Dongchaun agreed to pay US$3,500 upfront, with the balance to be paid after the TEPs were issued. It was during this exchange that ZACC officers arrested both Badza and Matsvimbo at a restaurant in Borrowdale.

In the court’s final ruling, Badza was sentenced to four years in prison, with one year suspended on the condition of good behavior. The remaining three years will be served in full.

Oscar Madhume represented the State during the proceedings.


Leave a Reply